Not 'run of the mill'
Cosy Yeti offers an approach to wool processing tried and tested by centuries of working by hand.
- We can process the wool from your own sheep into yarn for you.
- We offer better prices per kilogram to local farmers for greasy wool than the big producers and brokers, encouraging greater consideration for the value of wool in our rural communities.
- We can offer limited runs of handwoven cloth.
- We can teach you to weave and spin in the workshops we run in the Shropshire area.
- Our educational events aim to reconnect children in school groups with the enjoyment of making things by hand.
My name is Toby Tottle. I started spinning wool at university in Wales thirteen years ago, when a friend taught me how on her drop spindle in between lectures. I love the independence of being able to make something for myself from a fully sustainable, abundant, natural resource.
I taught myself to weave & knit from old books with invaluable help from the passionate community of hand textile workers here in the UK (and YouTube!). When I couldn't find the equipment I needed, I built it myself.
My experience ranges from Ice Age technology to 19th Century automated spinning mules.
I source wool directly from farms according to the qualities of different breeds, and process it entirely by hand.
Nowadays we want local, we want sustainable, we want to slow down with hand crafts that benefit our mental health and we want products that are made one at a time, around the corner by individual makers.
I do this in order to keep that tradition alive.